Executive Director, Perioperative Services and Surgical Programs
Methodist Hospital of Southern California
Methodist Hospital of Southern California was founded in 1903 by the Women's Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Church. Having been founded in one of the busiest parts of the country, our full-service hospital has grown significantly in the last 100 years. We currently have 348 licensed beds and treat more than 50,000 patients in the Emergency Department each year. We have spared no effort to provide our patients with the best care possible. Our facility is outfitted with advanced diagnostic technology like the 320-slice CT scanner and high-definition MRI. We also manage state-of-the-art catheterization labs, electrophysiology, and neuro-interventional radiology. Methodist Hospital is a private, not-for-profit, free-standing acute-care community hospital with approximately 2000 employees and 700 physicians on staff. Methodist Hospital of Southern California is a Comprehensive Stroke Center, certified STEMI Receiving Center and certified as a Comprehensive Community Cancer Program. It is also MBSAQIP certified in Bariatric Surgery and is a participant in the CMS sponsored Comprehensive Joint Replacement Program and AHRG sponsored Improving Surgical Care and Recovery Program (ISCR).
Executive Director, Perioperative Services and Surgical Programs
Reporting directly to the Chief Nursing Officer and managing a team of approximately 200 FTE’s and overseeing approximately 6,000 surgeries annually, the Executive Director, Peri-Op Services and Surgical Programs establishes and meets nursing care objectives either personally or through delegation by: assuring that nursing policies, procedures, and practices are established and are consistent with those of the hospital and medical staff; developing, allocating, and administering the Surgical Services budgets; participating in policy decisions affecting patient care; representing nursing in institutional planning; providing liaison to the medical staff and other hospital departments; assessing and assuring the quality and appropriateness of nursing care; and participating in the licensing and accreditation process.
Demonstrates investment in the overall forward movement of the unit and the organization. Applies excellent verbal and nonverbal skills to achieve service goals of customer satisfaction and a positive work environment. Utilizing matrix relationships across all levels of leadership and throughout the hospital, the Executive Director-Peri-Op Services and Surgical Programs will facilitate the coordination of operational teams and initiatives, review and advance surgical program performance markers, and facilitate relationships with key physicians within each area of specialty. Demonstrates a working knowledge and management of departmental operating and capital budgets.
KEY GOALS & OBJECTIVES:
- Quickly build trust, rapport and credibility with all constituents throughout the organization including staff (day & night), leadership and physicians
- Evaluate the department in order to understand the perceptions of the staff, identify strengths and weaknesses and develop solution plans accordingly
- Evaluate all processes, policies and procedures and implement improvements and/or additions where needed in order to function as a highly credible, efficient and responsive department
- Clearly communicate goals, objectives and expectations to staff and hold all parties accountable
- Achieve reputation as an effective “can-do, want to do, will-do” leader
- Become known as a successful relationship builder who knows how to motivate and build consensus
- Be recognized as a visible leader who regularly makes rounds and genuinely enjoys interacting with people at all levels throughout the organization
- Work to improve both recruitment and retention (onboarding, flexible scheduling, etc.) of nurses within the department
- Look for opportunities to increase volumes and grow the service line
- Successfully address physician concerns and maintain outstanding physician relationships
- Demonstrates strong leadership in managing daily operations and operational budgets
- Meets and develops meaningful working relationships with surgeons, with emphasis on our service line leaders and program Directors
- Identifies and engages in Service Excellence strategies that work across the care continuum and includes physicians, staff and patients
- Build a cohesive peri-op team among departments that promotes respect, satisfaction and quality outcomes
- Becomes a respected participant in the hospital’s business development and strategic planning activities
- Engages with the Board, Leadership and other stakeholders in identifying and promoting patient care initiatives that drive quality, growth and community benefit
- Master’s degree in Nursing required
- Current California RN License required
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required
- ACLS Certification required
- CNOR Certification preferred
- A minimum of 3 to five years’ clinical nursing experience in Surgical Services required
- A minimum of 3 to five years’ experience in an administrative/management role
- Nursing career background of sufficient breadth to assure an understanding of the various nursing functions in an acute-care general hospital setting
STYLE AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Creates a positive and collaborative work environment
- Important to be focused, engaged, dependable, professional, personable and hard working
- Self-confident, strong and self-motivated leader who quickly establishes trust, credibility and rapport
- Strong financial/business acumen
- Well organized with excellent attention to detail
- Must have outstanding people skills and be culturally competent, aware and sensitive
- Must be a problem solver with excellent follow-up skills
- Must be flexible and able to work with people of all backgrounds and personalities
- Strategic thinker who is able to help create, convey and implement best practices
- A credible leader with the ability to communicate and articulate effectively
- A consummate team player with strong leadership skills and the ability to implement objectives and hold people accountable
- The successful candidate must have a positive attitude, be visible and approachable
- Capable of making tough and well-reasoned decisions quickly, regarding necessary development and change without alienating affected constituency groups
- An energizing presence with the ability to build enthusiasm throughout staff, peers and management
- The ability to coordinate multiple assignments quickly and effectively, and the ability to manage stressful, chaotic situations by providing leadership through example
- Not easily overwhelmed, is consistently results focused and organized
Arcadia was incorporated in 1903 and became a Charter City in 1951. It is an upper-middle class community of approximately 60,000 people in an 11.2 square mile area located 20 miles east of Los Angeles.
Arcadia is known for beautiful neighborhoods, warm character and a "community of homes" atmosphere. The City places great emphasis on preserving “green space” and its commitment to the environment is evidenced by the large population of healthy trees you will find around town. Arcadia has been designated a Tree City USA for seventeen consecutive years.
Arcadians take pride in their well-established traditions and high standards. The Arcadia Unified School District is one of the most highly thought of in the State; high quality medical services are available locally; and an excellent assortment of recreation and leisure activities are offered for all ages. With respect for its heritage, appreciation of the present, and excitement about the future, Arcadia remains true to its motto of "Community of Homes" by maintaining a good balance of quality economic development that mixes harmoniously with its primarily residential nature.
Arcadians take great pride in their community and the qualities associated with the City are not taken for granted. It is not by accident that Arcadia is referred to as a jewel among southern California communities.
For the selected candidate, a complete and competitive compensation package will be offered which includes salary, major insurances, PTO, retirement, and relocation reimbursement.